Sunday, July 26, 2009

Muesli Bar


We had a great week of sunshine and relaxing in Tonga - not so nice to be back to cold winter! The first daffodils are out though, only one month left of winter, yah!

The food in Tonga was delicious - fresh fish everyday!  Mmmmm, tuna.... Yummy fresh fruit salad for breaky and tropical fruit smoothies for lunch. And bonus, even though I LOVE cooking it was great to have someone else do it for me for a week (meals were included in our resort price), and not knowing what was going to come out each night was a good experience too!  Even when MD does cook I still have to 'suggest' what he should make as he 'lacks inspiration' - his excuse!

I want to share my favourite mueslie bar.  I make a batch every week, slice it up then put it in a ziplock bag in the freezer for MD to take for his work lunches - if I don't he's off down to Subway for chocolate chip cookies!  At least this way he gets some healthy ingredients!



Muesli bar
Ingredients:
1 c flour (wholemeal or white or a mixture)
1 c oats
1/2 c coconut
1 and 1/2 c mixed dried fruit, seeds and nuts (I use chopped dates, sultana's, pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts or almonds)
1-2 tsp ground ginger
125ml flavourless oil (I use rice bran)
1/2 c honey

Method:
1.  Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2.  Melt together the oil and honey.
3.  Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
4.  Place in a slice tin lined with baking paper.  Bake at 180 degrees (350F) for 25 minutes or until golden on top.
5.  Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

I'm so envious that you are in Tonga! I've always wanted to visit many of the South Pacific Islands after living in Hawaii for a few years. I have printed out your recipe and am excited to try it out! :)

Anonymous said...

They look soooo good...I might make them tonight! :)