Monday, July 6, 2009

My favourite breaky!


I love breakfast!  It's probably my favourite meal of the day.  

Three mornings a week I run and, as it's the middle of winter over here at the moment, my runs are at 5:30 in the morning in the dark and cold!  What gets me through the last few k's is the thought of a HUGE bowl of porridge and the morning paper! Bliss.


Porridge with a twist

Ingredients for one:
1/4 c oats (I use a mixture of rolled and whole)
1/2 a pre-frozen banana 
1 T mixed seeds (I use linseed, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame), ground
1 tsp honey
sprinkle of cinnamon
Yoghurt, milk and berries to serve

Method:
1.  Place oats in a small saucepan with the banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Add water to cover plus a little extra (I leave mine here to take my run so the banana has time to defrost a bit).
2.  Cook over low heat around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the banana is soft and the oats cooked.  Add the honey and stir until dissolved.
3.  Remove from the heat and stir in the ground seeds.  Pour into a bowl and top with berries, yoghurt and milk.
Enjoy with the morning paper!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of adding the frozen banana thanks Kate, I've only previously added fresh on top to serve.

For days when you're taking a long run (or having a huge hunger day!) try adding a handful of mixed nuts along with your seeds at the end mmmmm delicimo! (I use almonds, cashews, sultanas along with sunflower and pumpkin seeds - it gives me a real boost to the start of my day!).